How to get a VISA to live in Gran Canaria

Citizens from a large number of countries can spend up to 90 days in Spain without a visa.

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country that isn’t on the list, you can apply for a short-stay Schengen visa that allows you to stay in Spain (and to travel to the other 26 countries in the Schengen area) for 90 days. It is best to apply for a Schengen visa at least a month before you travel to Gran Canaria.

If you plan to spend longer than three months in Gran Canaria, you need a long-term work and residence visa. You have to apply for this kind of visa from your home country via a Spanish consulate. 

We advise you to check the exact requirements with your local Spanish Consulate as they will know exactly what documentation you need to provide and the exact requirements. 

Below we focus on those kinds of visa for workers and entrepreneurs. However, consult your nearest Spanish Consulate for other visa types available to non-EU nationals.

Golden Visa

Non-EU nationals can get Spanish residency (and citizenship after 10 years) by investing the sum of €500,000 in property.

Entrepreneur Visa

If you are an entrepreneur and want to start a new business or relocate your business to Spain, you can get an Entrepreneur Visa. To get that you will have to go through a process.

First, you need to write a business plan (you can use the official outline) and submit it with the official application to the Registrar at the Secretaría de Estado de Comercio, located at Paseo de la Castellana, 162 for approval.

The process may take up to 20 business days. 

Once your plan is approved, you will be sent a positive report via certified mail. This report is the most important thing. With the positive report in hand, you take it and the following to the nearest police station, and apply for a residence permit:

  • A copy of your passport (all pages).
  • Proof of health insurance.
  • Proof that you have no criminal record in your home country.
  • Proof that you have sufficient funds to sustain yourself in Spain.
  • Proof of education (recommended).
  • An application, downloadable via the internet.
  • A €72 fee (you pay first at a bank and get a receipt).

Candidates who are legally in Spain, i.e. who have a residence or stay permit or an entrepreneur visa, can apply for a two-year residence authorization. Candidates who are abroad can apply for a one-year residence visa.