How to get your residency in Gran Canaria

If you plan to live and work in Gran Canaria for more than a few months, it is worth applying for residency (residencia in Spanish).

Legally you have to apply if you spend more than 90 days in Spain.

Becoming a resident gives you some significant perks including a 75% discount on the price of travel between the Canary Islands and 50% between the archipelago and Mainland Spain, local transport discounts, and reduced entry prices at many museums, galleries and tourist attractions.

Find below the residency requirements for EU, EEA and EFTA citizens. Essentially they are the same as for you NIE application although you may be asked for more documentation to prove your financial status and/or ongoing employment.

For families where only one person is working in Gran Canaria, the rest of the family is entitled to residency although you could well be expected to provide documents proving that you are married or in a civil partnership. These will need to be translated and verified officially via your consulate or an apostille.

As a freelancer you can apply for Residency after your first-quarter tax filing. They want a proof that you are actually running a business.

Paperwork to get a residency in Gran Canaria 

This section is under construction.

If you are a registered autónomo, you’ll need these documents to apply for a Canarian residency:

  • Contract of your apartment at your name.
  • NIE (white paper).
  • Form 130 for the first quarter (tax return form).
  • Form 400 (IGIC).
  • Form 036 or 037 (registration as autónomo).
  • Copy of your passport.
  • Contract of your office (or coworking).

The police will then give you the form 790. Fill it up.

This form is completed only after you pay a tax that you can pay in the nearest ATM or bank.

Once you have completed this process you can go back to the police station and they’ll give you your residency card.

Non-lucrative Residency

For a non-lucrative residency permit, you can apply from the Spanish consulate in your home country.

This is a non-lucrative residency that allows you to live in Spain without working (even if you work online).

This residence permit is issued initially for 1 year, but then you can renew for another 2 years, and again for 2 years. After 5 years you can apply for permanent residency in Spain.

In order to request this type of residency, you have to have €30,000 in your bank account and/or proof of ongoing income. Also a police background check, medical certificate and of other paperwork. We suggest calling the local Spanish embassy in your country of origin to ask what’s necessary.

For more information visit the Official Government website.

If you are a US citizen, we suggest reading this article.